Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Taking Advantage of "Good" Moments

If you are in an active time of your Crohn's Disease, then you know that "good" moments and days can be hard to come by. I don't know about you, but I have learned to take advantage of those good times. I have not had a lot of good days lately, so when I do I'm kind of over the moon about it. Then I tend to run into a whole new problem by over-doing things.
I wouldn't say my house is dirty, but the house cleaning has not been kept up as well as I would like. Even though I am home every day, my pain levels and energy levels keep me from doing too much. Thursday, Friday and Saturday were all pretty good days for me. I was not living in the bathroom and my pain was at a tolerable level. So in my brilliance I decided it was time for me to tackle some projects that I have kept putting off until I feel better. The failure with this plan is that I tried to accomplish too much at once. Have you ever noticed how quickly muscles get sore when you haven't been using them the way you used to? I sure do.
One of my projects was to start cleaning out the spare bedroom so that we can get a bed set up in there for the grandson to sleep in. Right now he is sharing a bed with his daddy. I actually made a fairly sizable dent in getting things cleaned up, tossed out, organized. The other project I knew no one else in this household was going to do was to steam clean the area rug in the family room. Given the fact that I have sandy soil, two dogs who run in and out, along with the hubby, stepson and grandson, this rug was filthy. Here again I had given in to one of my brilliant moments, and had purchased a cream colored area rug when I was redecorating. Two hours later the rug looked new again, but I could barely move. I mean that literally. I really could barely move. I was so sore from over-doing it.
My point on this entry is that as someone with CD you never know how long your "good" moments are going to last. One of the things with CD is that a person can be absolutely fine one moment and be sicker than sick two minutes later, and then the rest of the day is shot. I cannot even count how many events I have had to cancel at the last minute. I realize it frustrates those who don't understand or know much about CD, which is one of the reasons I am writing this blog.
Take advantage of your good moments and days. Go do those things you were wanting to, and don't beat yourself up when you have to cancel your plans. Don't be embarrassed to explain to someone why you can't make it. The more we raise awareness of this disease the better. For those days that aren't so good, well I would suggest always having a good book to read on hand, or some other hobby that doesn't take a lot of exertion and won't be ruined if you have to suddenly drop it to make a bathroom run.
Don't let your CD keep you from living a full life. Even though there are days, weeks, even months that make it difficult, keeping a positive outlook is one of the best medicines we have. Until next time...

Many Blessings and remember to LIVE, LAUGH and LOVE!
C

No comments:

Post a Comment